A rapid prototype is build at the very beginning of a project. Gone and over are the days of pixel perfect wireframes in Photoshop, stated Billy Kiely
Now the entire design process is done via the browser. There are many advantages for the designer here. All design is an iterative process.
Design is all about designing interaction and storytelling.
The designer works with the interactive experience. Redesign must be easy – and with a keen focus on the story.
There are three stages or aspects of design:
- Interaction experience.
Wireframes are fine tools for the storytelling. But viewing drafts in Photoshop is not the same thing as watching your work on the actual devices.
Discover the story
If you design page by page, you risk loosing the general picture of the whole story. Therefore it’s better to work on little pieces at a time, and fill in the gabs when you see them.
Investment is the enemy of design.
A sum up of Billy Kiely’s rapid prototyping workflow from the designer’s perspective:
- Use it while you design it. You design an experience.
- Start with a cupcake. Get all the ingredients ready. Then you mix them in the proper order.
- The quicker you get feedback the better.
- Define the jobs to be done.
- Use real content.
- Make it accessible for the team and the costumer.
- Avoid the edge cases in the early stages of the work.