“Modeling is an Essential Part of large software projects, and helpful to medium and even small projects as well. A model plays the analogous role in software development that blueprints and other plans (site maps, elevations, physical models) play in the building of a skyscraper.” (Source: UML.org)
- Intro UML: Use Case Diagram, Activity Diagram & Class Diagram.
- From UML til PHP class via case.
- Obtain knowledge about data modelling. In this case via UML.
- Use Case Diagram
- Activity Diagram
- Class Diagram
- Jade Krafsig: PHP OOP (class) tutorial.
- Donald Bell (IBM 2003) “UML Basics”.
- “UML in a Nutshell” (2005)
- Practical UML.
- Lou Franco’s UML Cheat Sheet.
Software and beyond
- Any kind of drawing software: Gimp, Inkscape, Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator etc.
UML 1) The Use Case Diagram and the Use Case Description.
UML 2) Activity Diagrams
- Tutorial Point: Activity Diagram.
- UMLet. (In the video Umlet is used. It may run on Linux, Windows and a Mac OS. But a pencil could be used too).
Draw a UML activity diagram for a person, who sends an email to the editor of a website by a form. The form should validate the user input, and the user must have user friendly form validation feedback.
Make a UML activity diagram for your online portfolio.
UML 3) The Class Diagram
You can say that a class is some code, that you can use again and again. PHP classes are included, like this:
From the class diagram to PHP